Bookings & Enquiries: +44 (0)1235 522 536
Milton Manor House
The estate was purchased in the mid-16th century by a London goldsmith and the present house was probably built by his descendant, Paul Carlton, shortly after his marriage in 1659.
The architect is not known but it may well have been the London builder, John Jackson, who moved to Oxford in the 1630s to superintend the construction of the Canterbury Quadrangle at St John's College.
In 1764 the property was purchased by Bryant Barrett, lace maker to George III.
The next year he commissioned Stephen Wright, master-mason in the Office of Works, to add wings and provide further service accommodation in outbuildings to the north.
The wings contained a new Roman Catholic chapel and library but because Catholicism was still officially banned in England the exterior of the wings was kept deliberately plain. The interiors, in contrast, were decorated in elaborate Gothic style.
From this period onwards there have been no major alterations to the house and the property has passed by descent to the present owner, Anthony Mockler-Barrett.
Distance: 0.8 miles (1.3 km)